Sunday, July 29, 2012

TYPHOON! (and aftermath)

Hello!
Gosh, it's been a while since I last posted. I'll start off by continuing on about the typhoon that I mentioned during my last post.
It was mostly just a big storm until I went to bed that night. Over the course of 12 hours, it escalated from a tropical storm to a typhoon to a severe typhoon. (A hurricane, basically.) By the time I woke up, it was all over the news. Apparently, it was the worst storm to hit Hong Kong in 19 years. Tens of flights had been cancelled and it had flooded in Beijing, up in north China. It looked as you might imagine it outside: a lot of trees down, some power lines out, pretty much chaos. Yeah. Look it up. It was pretty insane.
The next day, we had to get our visas validated. Long story short, we need resident visas, not tourist visas, so we have to do all kinds of stuff to get them. That day, we went to Shenzen, a Chinese city right across the border for literally two minutes before turning around and returning to Hong Kong. The only reason we had to do that is to get a stamp while we went through customs, and we got it. Yay! The next day, We went back to Wan Chai (Luckily, there was no book fair. Read post No. 3.) to finally apply for our visas. We will get them on August 8th. Then we can get our Chinese University of Hong Kong staff IDs, and then we can go swimming whenever we want! The day after wan chai, we went to the HK science museum. It's SO COOL! it has a ton of hands-on stuff, which I love!
Finally, yesterday, we woke up early to see the opening ceremonies for the olympics. We only got to see the end, but it was awesome. Paul McCartney was the best part that I saw. After that, my sister and I went out to Causeway Bay with my sister to do some Bhuddist meditation with our friend Minh, who is totally awesome. He's in his twenties, went to yale, and is a colleigate badminton player. And he's really good at squash. I learned that last night when I played against him.
You really should check out my dad's blog at www.drawger.com/msloan. It has lots of photos of us making our nimbus t-shirts! Let us know in the comments if YOU want a t-shirt! If we get enough support, we will consider it!
The first Hunger Games book edged out the second in our poll. If YOU have an idea for a good poll, post it in the comments!
Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment